- Kate’s Cottage is a quaint 3 bedroomed traditional quarryman’s Portland stone cottage built in the early 1800’s within the borough of Weymouth and Portland. This holiday cottage contains character features, has sea views and was refurbished in a shabby chic style in 2014 with a new shower room and kitchen installed in 2017. Kates Cottage is located within the popular area of Fortuneswell, just off the high street where you will find a supermarket, newsagent/fishing tackle shop, fish & chips, pharmacy, cafe and several other small shops. It is a short walk to the Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy, home to the 2012 Olympic sailing events. Chesil beach is a short stroll away down the lane where you can watch fishermen bringing in their crab pots and view the famous sunsets from Chesil beach or the renowned Cove House Inn. Quiddles beach cafe is also a fabulous place to have breakfast or lunch on the seafront or watch the sun set from their roof terrace.
PLEASE NOTE KATE’S COTTAGE has steep narrow stairs leading directly from the bedrooms so whilst we don’t mind small children, and there is a stair gate, parents need to ensure their children will understand the risks and not venture downstairs unsupervised. We strongly advise to use the stair gate to avoid children falling downstairs. Adults also need to be careful for this reason as the stairs are in keeping with a lot of character cottages of this period. We have never had a problem but please don’t be the first!
- Sleeps 4
- Quiet Location
- Laundry / Towels Provided
- Tea, Coffee, Milk & Biscuits on arrival
- Plenty of parking close to Kate’s Cottage either in free car parks or on the road and often able to park right outside.
- Free WiFi
- Perfect Location for Kite/Wind Surfing in Portland harbour.
- Kate’s Cottage is close to the Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy and ideal for sailors wishing to stay close by.
- Line/hooks for drying wetsuits outside
- Chinese Takeaway, Indian Restaurant & Fish and Chip shop within walking distance
- Supermarket/pharmacy/newsagent/general store/cash point all very close by.
- Beach front Cafe/Pub at end of lane on sea wall.
- Ideal for beach fishing/diving in Chesil cove
- Staggering distance to shops, pubs, restaurants, cafes, pharmacy, newsagent/fishing tackle store, supermarket, hairdresser and general store.
- Less than 5 minutes walk to Chesil beach and the south west coastal path, ideal ideal for walkers.
- Bird watching area, West Weares on Portland is home to Peregrine Falcon’s and one of the few places in the UK where nest. Also Portland is also a major migration stop over point for resting birds; early May and October often the best times to see migrating birds
- The Portland Bird Observatory is open March to November and has a daily blog on the latest sightings so worth checking their website.
- Culverwell Mesolithic site Portland Bill
- Bus service to/from weymouth until early hours at weekends, peak season buses run all night.
- Tourist information Centre in Castletown (turn left before sharp right turn to Fortuneswell after you enter Portland). Or The Portland Heights Hotel (by the Olympic Rings)
- Small theatre/cafe a short walk away
- Festivals all year round in Weymouth
- New Years Eve in Weymouth voted amongst the top 10 places to celebrate in Europe!
- Ideal central location to explore the Jurassic coast
- “We stayed in Kate’s Cottage, Portland over the October half term in 2015 and were thoroughly delighted with our stay. From the moment we arrived and walked through the front door, we felt at home and that we had a “cottage by the sea”. The standard of the interior decorating was immaculate and we were very pleased with the way the cottage was furnished!
We would highly recommend anyone wanting to stay down in the Portland/Weymouth area that are looking to visit the Jurassic Coast pay Kate’s Cottage a visit, you will not be disappointed!”
Andy, Jo & Family – 10/11/2015